From time to time, when I visit the Zoo .... I am lucky enough to get some pixtures of the Orangutan.
This is the facial expression that I pretty much always see .... serious for sure and maybe even sad.
So, I went looking, on-line, for some other Orangutans .... to see if they were happier.
Here's what I learned .... from the WWF.
Orangutans are the "gardeners" of the forest, playing a vital role in seed dispersal in their habitats.
They live in tropical forests, preferring the river valleys and floodplains on their native islands .... Sumatra and Borneo.
Orangutans' have extremely low reproductive rates, making their populations highly vulnerable.
Females give birth to one infant about every 3-5 years. So, these species can take a long time to recover from population declines.
With human pressure only increasing, orangutans face an increasing risk of extinction.
And, they do look happier in the wild ....

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.